The Friends of Rocky Glen is a nonprofit organization working to protect this unique and historical geologic area near Peoria, Il. The land has been recently purchased by the City of Peoria. The Friends of Rocky Glen are determined to see this area obtain public access, dawn to dusk. Our next priority is to help develop a parking lot to allow safe access into the Glen. In the meantime, our group has received express permission to lead guided hikes into Rocky Glen on a monthly basis while requiring hikers to sign liability waivers every hike. Check out our calendar on the Visit page, join us for our next hike, and find out how you can do your part to protect and preserve this beautiful natural area.
The Friends of Rocky Glen is organized for the sole purpose of permanently preserving the property known as Rocky Glen, located in Peoria County, Illinois. Such protection shall include, but not be limited to, establishing a permanent owner who will safeguard the area in perpetuity, managing it to minimize human impact, protecting native flora and fauna and maintaining historic features and scenic qualities.
Board of Directors
- David Pittman – President. David is a local community activist who has lived in the Peoria area since 1991. He is married with one grown daughter and a step daughter who is currently enrolled at Illinois Central College. Dave works as a registered nurse at St Francis Medical Center in Peoria. He served on the Peoria Park Board from 1995 – 1999.
- Lynn Dempsey – Secretary/Treasurer. Lynn is a native West Peorian who left the area in 1983 and returned in 2003. After twenty years of full-time travel with no availability for community or volunteer work, she decided that returning to her hometown provided the opportunity to serve. Until she sold her home in West Peoria in October 2013, Lynn also served as an appointed member of the West Peoria Plan Commission and Economic Development Commission. She remains a committed member of Friends of Rocky Glen. Lynn is a management consultant and accountant.
- Todd Abercrombie – Todd works as an energy auditor and is president of EverGreen Home Energy Consultants, Inc in Peoria. In addition to running a business, Todd is also a husband and father of three beautiful daughters. He volunteers his time with several community groups in central Illinois including the Friends of Rocky Glen and the Global Warming Solutions Group.
- Tracy Fox
- Elaine Hopkins is a retired journalist who writes a blog, www.peoriastory.com covering issues the mainstream media ignores or minimizes. She has written about environmental and union issues, and is interested in the legacy of Rocky Glen from both angles. She is a married mother of two, grandmother of four, and divides her time between Peoria and Macomb.
- Ed Stermer
- Michele Ohl is a Peoria area native and is excited to be a home owner in West Peoria. She works in an office full time. She was recently married to Temple J Ohl and is happy to be joining such a wonderful group. Michele also volunteers with Unity church and with the Bradley Alumni Association. She will be managing the Friends of Rocky Glen Facebook page.
- Teresa Smith